EasyTap™ Tapping System
- Tooling Benefits
- Design Features
- Bilz Collect Kits
- Bilz Quick-Change Collet Kits
- Setup Instructions
Flexible Thread Tapping System for Thick Turret Presses
Mate leads the punching industry with a tool system designed to produce threaded holes in previously punched or extruded holes, in all types of sheet metal. Called EasyTap™, this unique tool system extends the punching capabilities of today’s CNC punch presses by producing precisely located threaded holes at high speed, automatically and with repeatable quality. With a full array of patented* design features, the Mate EasyTap™ system is yet another major mile stone for Mate in designing and delivering innovative tooling that sets the pace for the fabricating industry. Read on to see why there’s nothing else like Mate EasyTap™.
- Produces threaded holes in a single punch press set-up. No need for secondary tapping operations either by machine or manually.
- Threaded holes are produced at pre-programmed locations on the sheet material with repeatable accuracy.
- Taps a full range of threaded hole diameters in popular materials including stainless steel, mild steel and aluminum.
- High speed operation equal to the coordinated speed of the turret press auto index station rotation and the ram stroke.
- Requires the use of a single auto index station to maximize machine turret flexibility.
- Eliminates the need for extra fastening components such as self-clinching fasteners and nuts with lock washers as well as assembly tools.
- Use standard taps available from multiple sources to eliminate reliance on proprietary tooling and reduce tooling inventory costs.
- Adds new versatility to existing punch press capabilities with only nominal tool investment. Gives the part designer a new option for superior manufacturability.
- Very easy to use. Requires minimal operator training for quick collet and tap change mechanism and installation.
- Eliminates adjacent secondary operation staging tables and fixtures. Helps conserve valuable factory floor space because off-press tapping operations can now be performed on the punch press.
- Reduces punch press downtime while increasing machine productivity.
- Ideal tool system to use in combination with other Mate application tooling for producing hinges, bends, interlocking components, custom markings, etc.
Additional Features Include:
- Operates with thick turret auto index station in punch presses with programmable ram depth control and suitable machine software
- One Mate EasyTap™ system can be used interchangeably in multiple machine models equipped with suitable auto index, ram stroke, and software features
- Supplied with compact table-top setup, maintenance, and storage stand. Protects tooling and makes set-up easy
Available for use with selected Finn-Power presses including the C5. Operates with additional thick turret auto index stations in turret presses with programmable ram depth control and suitable machine software. Requires software download from press manufacturer.
|Has automatic lubrication system which dispenses pre-set amount of lubrication to the tap point with each tapping cycle. Built in sight gauge shows lubrication level.||Lower tool assembly includes ball bearing mechanism for smooth rotation. Prevents unwanted undersheet marking.|
|Lower tool assembly includes ball bearing mechanism for smooth rotation. Prevents unwanted undersheet marking.||Robust construction, with hardened guide for accurate, long-life operation.|
|Accommodates all standard tap sizes and popular tap shank standards including: DIN 371, ANSI/ASME, ISO 529 and JIS. Uses standard taps and standard Bilz brand collets. Minimizes tooling costs and inventory.||Mate EasyTap™ produces high quality threads in punched or extruded holes.|
Bilz Collect Kits
Mate EasyTap™ Utilizes Standard Bilz Quick-Change Collets
|FORMING TAP SIZE||M2.5||M3||M4||M5||M6||M8||Mate PN *MATE00527|
|SHANK & SQUARE SIZE (mm)||2.8X2.1||3.5X2.7||4.5X3.4||6X4.9||6X4.9||8X6.2|
|BILZ PART NUMBER||29 100 007||29 100 025||29 100 044||29 100 067||29 100 067||29 100 087|
*Mate00527 Includes (1) Each of the Following Collets: 29 100 007, 29 100 025, 29 100 044, 29 100 067, 29 100 087
|FORMING TAP SIZE||M2.5||M4||M4||M5||M6||M8||MATE PN *MATE00528|
|SHANK & SQUARE SIZE (IN)||0.141×0.110||0.141×0.110||0.168×0.131||0.194×0.152||0.255×0.191||0.318×0.238|
|BILZ PART NUMBER||29 100 028||29 100 028||29 100 041||29 100 052||29 100 077||29 100 101|
|FORMING TAP SIZE||#3-#6||#8||#10||#12||1/4″-20||5/16″-18|
|SHANK & SQUARE SIZE (IN)||0.141×0.110||0.168×0.131||0.194×0.152||0.220×0.165||0.255×0.191||0.318×0.238|
|BILZ PART NUMBER||29 100 028||29 100 041||29 100 052||29 100 062||29 100 077||29 100 101|
*Mate00528 Includes (1) Each of the Following Collets: 29 100 028, 29 100 041, 29 100 052, 29 100 062, 29 100 077, 29 100 101
|FORMING TAP SIZE||M2.5||M3||M4||M5||M6||M8||MATE PN *MATE00529|
|SHANK & SQUARE SIZE (mm)||2.8X2.24||3.15X2.5||3.15X2.5||5X4||6.3 X 5||6.3 X 5|
|BILZ PART NUMBER||29 100 008||29 100 015||29 100 015||29 100 054||29 100 074||29 100 074|
|FORMING TAP SIZE||#4||#6||#10||#12||1/4″-20||5/16″-18|
|SHANK & SQUARE SIZE (mm)||3.15X2.5||3.55X2.8||5X4||5.6X4.5||6.3 X 5||8X6.3|
|BILZ PART NUMBER||29 100 015||29 100 027||29 100 054||29 100 063||29 100 074||29 100 087|
*Mate00529 Includes (1) Each of the Following Collets: 29 100 008, 29 100 015, 29 100 027, 29 100 054, 29 100 063, 29 100 074, 29 100 087
|FORMING TAP SIZE||M2.5||M3||M4||M5||M6||M8||MATE PN *MATE00530|
|SHANK & SQUARE SIZE (mm)||3X2.5||4X3.2||5X4||5.5X4.5||6X4.5||6.2X5|
|BILZ PART NUMBER||29 100 014||29 100 122||29 100 054||29 100 060||29 100 090||29 100 073|
*Mate00530 Includes (1) Each of the Following Collets: 29 100 014, 29 100 122, 29 100 054, 29 100 060, 29 100 090, 29 100 073
Bilz Quick-Change Collet Kits
For additional convenience, kits of Bilz brand quick change collets are available to suit the following tap shank size standards.
- DIN 371 (MATE00527)
- ANSI/ASME (MATE00528)
- ISO 529 (MATE00529)
- JIS (MATE00530)
The patented* design features of Mate EasyTap™ make installation fast and easy. By following the steps described, you will maximize machine up-time and increase your productivity.
1. Prepare for installation
- Confirm oil reservoir cap (1) is installed to prevent oil spillage.
- Remove EasyTap assembly from maintenance stand (2) and turn upside down.
- Remove end cap (3) using two screwdrivers (4) provided.
2. Remove length adjustment assembly (5)
- Hold end of tap (10) with thumb and first finger.
- Push length adjustment button (6) to release.
- Remove length adjustment assembly (5) from EasyTap assembly.
3. Separate collet and tap assembly (7) from collet holder assembly (8)
- Slide spring-loaded collet release sleeve (9) forward to release collet and tap assembly (7).
- Pull end of tap (10) to remove collet and tap assembly (7) from collet holder assembly (8).
- Release spring-loaded collet release sleeve (9).
4. Replace collet and tap assembly (7)
- Hold spring-loaded collet release sleeve (9) with thumb and first finger.
- Insert collet and tap assembly (7) into collet holder assembly (8) engaging lugs on collet (11) with recesses in collet holder assembly (8).
- Release spring-loaded collet release sleeve (9).
- To change tap (10) within collet (11), see steps 8 and 9.
5. Replace length adjustment assembly (5)
- Hold tap end with thumb and first finger.
- Align collet holder key (12) with keyway in EasyTap assembly.
- Hold length adjustment button (6) in until length adjustment assembly (5) is fully installed.
6. Set Tap Length
- Turn EasyTap assembly upright and insert into maintenance stand (2).
- Push length adjustment button (6) until tip of tap (10) touches stand base plate.
- Release length adjustment button (6).
7. Prepare for use
- Remove EasyTap assembly from maintenance stand (2).
- Turn EasyTap assembly upside down.
- Replace end cap (3).
- Turn EasyTap assembly upright.
- Remove oil reservoir cap (1) and refill with hydraulic oil as indicated by site gauge (13). (Use Mobil DTE26 or equivalent.) Note: oil reservoir cap must be removed during normal operation to avoid vacuum build-up.
- Install Mate EasyTap assembly into punch press.
8. To Remove the Tap from the Bilz brand collet
- Hold the collet (11) between the thumb and first fingers.
- Depress the spring loaded locking mechanism.
- Remove the tap (10) and release the mechanism.
9. To Install the Tap into a Bilz brand collet
- Hold the collet (11) in one hand and the new tap (10) in the other hand.
- Slide the square end of the tap (10) into the collet (11).
- Rotate the tap (10), while pushing the tap into the collet (11), until the square end of the tap engages securely with the square socket within the collet.
- The assembled tap and collet assembly(7) is now ready to use.
* Patent pending.
The Mate logo is a registered trademark of Mate Precision Tooling Inc.
EasyTap is a trademark of Mate Precision Tooling Inc.
Bilz is a registered trademark of Bilz Tool Company Inc.
Finn-Power is a registered trademark of Finn-Power Oy