Product Engineering Manager
The goal of Product Engineering (PE) is to work closely with the market to identify WHICH products to design/ explore, and to work with the organization to establish HOW and WHERE the product can be produced in the most efficient manner. The Product Engineering (PE) Manager is responsible for defining new products and improving and maintaining existing standard product design platforms and engineering systems. This includes researching, testing, engineering and designing standard products to the desired form, fit, and function, balancing market needs with requirements for cost, quality, delivery, and safety.
- Works actively and cooperatively with the market and customers to identify needs and wants, supporting marketing as the “eyes” and “ears” of the corporation in the market, translating needs and wants into commercially viable products.
- Establishes and manages the formal new product introduction process, meeting as necessary to prioritize opportunities and align resources across the organization. PE project manages new product introduction, working actively and collaboratively with other teams to achieve desired target dates.
- Manages the form, fit, and function of the standard product and the standard product platforms. PE is responsible for all standardized product design and standards as they relate to physical property definitions like geometry, materials, quality, part numbers, descriptions, revision history, etc. PE remains current on these topics so as to be the subject matter experts to the organization.
- Works actively and collaboratively with other teams in the organization to continuously improve standard product design in order to optimize cost, quality, delivery and safety.
- Works actively and collaboratively with other teams in the organization to support failure analysis of products and recommend and implement corrective actions.
- Manages the product related enterprise system maintenance and engineering systems like CAD, EPDM, etc. PE remains current on these topics so as to be the subject matter experts to the organization
- Manages the Customer Solution Center and its equipment for the purpose of product testing, demonstration, research and development and light prototype production. PE works with the Marketing Manager to ensure the Customer Solution Center presents Mate in the most professional manner.
- Manages the process of identifying, defining, investigating, and applying for patents on Mate products as part of new product development. PE is the resource for the organization for technical matters relating to competitor patents. PE performs all patent and legal actions associated with the product in cooperation with the Marketing Manager and Vice President Marketing.
- Records technical information regarding product features, benefits, materials, and manufacturing accuracies of partners and competitors and prepares strengths and weaknesses analysis. This involves regularly and systematically comparing the design, the fit and function, and performance of the organization’s product with those of its competitors.
- Supports the organization on all questions regarding the product. PE participates in developing and presenting product training materials, product literature, support documentation, catalog content, presentations, promotions, advertising materials, and other marketing related products with the help of the members and resources of the marketing department.
- Develops and manages relationships with vended product partners involved in product development and supply of engineered products.
- Makes visits to and hosts visits from industry partners, especially OEM, dealer, and key customer partners.
- Participates in industry tradeshows and professional organizations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General Skills and Abilities
- Able to draw conclusions and make decisions from a wide range of personal experience
- Fundamental understanding of mechanical and technical processes
- Fundamental understanding of commercial principles and practices
- Able to effectively engage in negotiations
- Able to problem solve in a timely manner
- Able to manage products
- Able to manage people to their maximum potential
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including technical writing and public speaking
- Able to see the big picture and draw strategic conclusions
- Able to represent Mate Precision Tooling in a professional manner
- Strong interpersonal skills and team player
Education and Experience
- Engineering or internationally recognized advance degree equivalent required
- 7+ years of industrial product design or design leadership experience required
- 3+ years of managing complex projects required
- 3+ years of patent-related experience required
- 3+ years of people leadership experience preferred
- 3+ years of machining workholding market experience required
- 3+ years of precision sheetmetal fabrication market experience preferred
- CAD and PDM experience preferred
- GD&T, DFMA, FMEA, DOE, and FEA training or experience preferred
- Experience working with formal quality systems preferred
- Continuous improvement and Lean experience preferred
- International experience preferred
- Proficiency in verbal and written English and strong technical writing skills are required
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft productivity software such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.
Manages direct reports, providing technical guidance and review of work. Provides formal performance feedback. Will act as a lead on some projects and provide work direction to peers and/or cross-functional team members in coordination with their respective managers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The job includes the requirement of some travel covering multiple days and on occasion may include international destinations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.