The position will support product quality at Mate Precision Tooling by serving as a dedicated resource working directly production, engineering to accurately measure products dimensionally using sound metrology practices, GD&T principles, methods, and tools. The Quality CMM Technician will collaborate with manufacturing and engineering to measure product dimensionally in a priority based manor. The Quality CMM Technician applies metrology tools in measuring products dimensionally and then generates dimensional reports that verify production quality. The key focus will be accurate and timely product measurement reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Write and Maintain programs for Zeiss CMM using Calypso Software.
- Measure production parts on CMM per control plan
- Measurement of parts for special studies and problem solving
- Analyze CMM Reports, summarize non-conformances and provide direction on potential corrections
- Perform Gage Capability and R&R Studies
- Calibration for CMM/SPC Gages, other as required
- Supports production and engineering by applying quality measurement tools and methods for product quality verification
- Monitors and supports process product quality and process accountability for compliance with product quality standards in manufacturing
- Supports production areas with metrology services and training
- Uses measurement tools and methods to support product quality in the manufacturing processes
- Reports, measures, and tracks dimensional product conformance on key product quality characteristics on a regular basis for production and product engineering
- Supports self-improvement and company improvement projects to company goals and objectives of service, quality, delivery, efficiency, etc. Works with internal and external customers to address specific dimensional product quality related issues as required
- Performs dimensional product first article and dimensional capability studies
- Performs fixture verification measurement to qualify fixtures for production inspection
- Assist and support the calibration of measuring equipment throughout the company.
- Maintain equipment and work area in a neat and orderly condition.
Note: The Quality CMM Technician responsibilities listed above are a basic outline, other duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- 2 year Vocational Technical degree is desired and 5 years of experience as a CMM technician.
- Must have formal training in Zeiss Calypso CMM software.
- The position requires a minimum of 5 years of experience in measuring machined type products with technical CMM experience in precision measurement.
- Must have formal GD&T training and fluency.
- Must have hands on GD&T experience at an advanced functional level.
- ASQ Certified Quality Technician a plus.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Other CMM programming experience a plus.
- GD&T and print reading fluency.
- Geometric visualization – ability to view parts to blueprint layout.
- Ability to operate all standard inspection equipment, electronic height gages, optical comparators, all types of hand tools and gages as well as cosmetic evaluation of parts.
- Clear and concise written communication, including reports, business correspondence, and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively with other employees, managers, and customers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret Mate product blueprints and specifications. Ability to develop clear and concise written communication, including reports and procedures. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from Mate production operators, foremen, and engineers.
Ability to use Internet and e-mail software, CMM Calypso software, Database software, CAD software SolidWorks, Excel, and Word.
Ability to use GD&T and geometric calculations including basic trigonometry and shop math to algebra level.
Ability to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical product drawings and specifications in ASME Y14.54 standard.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts..The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.